I’ve been a little distracted lately and have been totally neglecting my little projects. For instance, running42K is right: I totally should have not only listed all the good food my mom made for the Lunar New Year, I should have taken some damned pictures. I’m kicking myself now that I didn’t.
So from memory, here was our Spring Festival dinner:
- pan fried fish, a necessity for this holiday, since the Chinese word for “fish” is a homonym for “more than enough” or “extra,” ensuring extra luck and good fortune for the new year
- stir-fried baby clams with snow peas
- turnip soup
- fried pork cutlets
- steamed pork buns. Normally, you’re supposed to have dumplings, which are like little packages of good luck, but they’re also a lot of trouble to make. The buns were easier for my mom, and they are also like little packages.
- jellyfish, shredded carrot, and radish salad in a vinegar sauce
- bamboo shoot and carrot salad
- short ribs
There may have been some chicken dish too but I can’t remember.
Something else I remembered that I need to do are my taxes. Egads. I still have some time though.
I’m excited about the work I’m doing for my memoir class. I like it when I know where I’m going with a piece, when it’s pretty much mapped out in my head so much so that I can really take my time putting it down on paper. When I don’t know where I’m going, I sometimes write more, just flailing about, trying to figure it out.
I’ve also been wasting time at work playing with my NaNo, which I’m having difficulty with for some reason. Like, why is it so hard to make a playlist? On my mini I could literally drag songs from my library to the iPod, but this doesn’t seem to work the same way. So I’m perusing the directions to figure it out. Maybe having a PC messes it up.
It was so nice to walk home and not have my music run out on me after 45 minutes. Now I just need to get all my songs uploaded. I had over 800 on my mini; unfortunately a lot of those are on a computer I don’t have anymore. But of course I still have the CDs. Here at work I have about 200, which is plenty for now.