I’m a total klutz

This was going to be a post about my top 10 Thanksgiving memories – among them, the time my dad attempted to cook a tiny chicken while my mother was away, and the delicious gourmet spread my brother whipped together a few years ago – but then yesterday while hanging out at Bittersweet Cafe, I spilled an entire glass of water on my laptop.

Yes, the very worst thing you could do to a Macbook, I did.  I guess only worse would be coffee or something with sugar.  Or gasoline and a match.

So now I’m using MB’s computer till mine dries out (hopefully).  Unfortunately he doesn’t have Word, but his system is about a billion times faster than mine.

This is how it went down: The cafe was pretty crowded so we ended up sharing a table with another couple.  At first my water glass was way too my right, far from my computer.  Then the couple came and I had to move my glass to my left, basically right next to my laptop.  MB was listening to something and handed me his headphones to listen too.  I wasn’t thinking carefully, or mistook my glass for my usual water bottle, and knocked the whole thing over.

At first it didn’t even hit me that it had spilled on my keyboard.  I just felt water on my leg, then I was looking down, and MB was standing up and saying, “Pour the water off!”


I managed to pour some of it off, but not enough, and MB was quick enough to get the battery out.  In the meantime, the woman at our table was staring and staring, like she was watching a tennis game, then handed me one napkin.

“Will this help?”

It would help if you’d mind your own business.

In fact, EVERYONE was staring.  I mean, jeez people, it’s not like I cut open an artery and was spurting blood all over.  Move along, folks, there’s nothing to see here.

One of the baristas came rushing over with towels and helped us clean up.  He was very nice about it.  I’m sure he was glad it was just water and not something sticky like hot chocolate or cider.

I was strangely calm for most of the walk home.  I had been working on my NaNoWriMo novel, but MB was glad to hear I had saved several copies, one for each day that I’ve worked on it, so even if the one I had open was destroyed, he’d be able to get at the earlier versions.  Also, a lot of my writing, including my memoir and recent essays, are also on a USB, since I was going over to FedEx/Kinko’s and printing stuff till I got a printer.  And some older writing and photos that I had lifted from my work computer are still only on a USB, and the photos worth anything are all on Flickr.

There’s a lot to be said for backing stuff up.

But when I got home, it hit me that I wouldn’t be able to work on NaNoWriMo for the rest of that day and most of today.  I’m actually a day or so ahead, but I wanted to get way ahead since I’d have less time in LA.  I got depressed thinking I wouldn’t have anything to do today.

But like I said, MB was nice enough to set up a log in for me on his computer.  Plus there’s the whole pen and paper thing.

I really hope my computer survives.  I bought it in 2007 and paid, I think, about $1200.  But if it doesn’t, I’m totally getting a PC for half the price.


  1. I really hope your laptop survives! It’s just a shame to have to fork over that chunk of money over one accident. Saw an Yahoo! tech article today that 1 in 3 laptops fail in 3 years (Apple brand was not tested) and for PCs Toshiba was one of the best, HP one of the worse. I’ve got a 1.5yo HP and really getting into backing things up now!

  2. yeah! pc’s are the way to go :) but i still hope your laptop survives. i’ve seen laptops come back to life after the liquid dries. also, would it be possible to take out the harddrive in a mac and still get the data off of it?

  3. Oh bummer, but that was quick thinking getting the battery out! I’m really happy with my 3 year old Sony Vaio (my toshiba battery would get hot a lot faster, and died in exactly 3 years)in case you end up having to look into PCs.
    Were you at the Bittersweet in Rockridge?

  4. […] laptop seems to have recovered my clumsy drenching.  We let out it dry out for more than twenty-four hours, then Monday night MB thought it safe to […]