Back from L.A. and trying to recover from the red eye.
I thought I’d try something new since I tend to ramble on in these recaps. And plus I’m just plain tired. So, putting a spin on the hundreds list, here are 40 things about my trip to L.A.
- It’s better to take a whole day off from work on the day you’re leaving for a trip rather than trying to book early.
- Walking very fast gives you shin splints.
- Taxi drivers are less aggressive when the fare is a flat fee.
- Wireless hot spots make waiting at the airport much more bearable
- I need a new laptop.
- Jet Blue rocks.
- My feet swell to twice their size on flights.
- Burbank airport is nice and small, but you have to wait forever for your bags.
- A McDonald’s fish filet is delicious after a cross-country flight at 11 o’clock at night.
- L.A. can be freezing cold.
- Despite the freezing cold, a guy will be crazy enough to go swimming in the ocean at Venice Beach.
- The best cup of organic mocha joe in the world is at The Cow’s End.
- Through a Scanner Darkly is a trippy movie to watch while you’re falling asleep from jet lag.
- Texting a message at the beginning of a car ride will make you car sick for the rest of the trip.
- It’s better to get the 30 GB iPod than the 8 GB Nano. They’re the same price.
- It’s possible to get a bag from Tumi for under $100, if a style is being discontinued.
- The car wash my brother goes to uses different-colored soaps.
- The blueberry smoothie with almond milk and dates at a place called Leaf Cuisine in Culver City is amazing.
- L.A. has a lot of traffic.
- If there is a baby present at a family gathering, most of the attention will be focused on said baby.
- A tiny baby can snore very loudly.
- Through a Scanner Darkly is still a trippy movie to watch while you fall unconscious from jet lag.
- The second best cup of organic mocha joe in the world is at Hugo’s.
- The omelets at Hugo’s are good too.
- You might be able to see a celebrity there, like D.B. Sweeney.
- The eclair cream puff at Beard Papa is delicious.
- There are some weirdos on Hollywood Boulevard.
- Cold weather + dry air + strong sun = my fucked up skin
- It’s a rip-off when a Japanese restaurant will only allow you to share your brother’s pot of green tea by charging you per cup.
- Children of Men is a good movie though the ending is sort of abrupt.
- A family gathering with fewer people and not in a restaurant is far more time efficient and relaxed.
- The Grove is a nice though Disney-esque outdoor mall.
- You might see a celebrity there, like Julia Campbell.
- The crepes and coffee there are very nice.
- The Fish Shack in Malibu has excellent ahi tuna burgers and mind-blowingly good fries.
- Walking barefoot on the beach in cold weather is fun.
- Walking barefoot on the beach in cold weather is fun till the wind blows and you’re pelted with thousands of grains of sand.
- Award shows are a very big deal.
- The red eye is a killer.
- Even after a whole day of sitting around in your pajamas, you won’t want to go to work the next day.
I am, however, glad to be back in my own apartment and in a city where I can walk almost everywhere and not have to
ride in a car.
Thank God I have a short week.